What I’m Wearing: New York Yankees American Needle Limited Edition Faux Leather Delirious Snapback Cap (also at Drjays.com) | H&M Manhattan shirt & faux fur scarf | Peter Pilotto® for Target® Black/White Print Skirt | Alexander Wang Rocco Duffel (also here, here and here) | French Connection Ellis Studded Nubuck d’Orsay Pump (also here, here and here) | BaubleBar ID Necklace | Citizen watch (c/o) | H&M rings
I moved to New York City on my 30th birthday with my boyfriend (now husband). I had just completed grad school, landed a marketing job at a popular premium cable network and was so excited to be moving to my dream city! I’ve spent the past (almost) decade in NYC and while I’ve experienced my fair share of ups and downs, overall it’s been one helluva ride!
As I think about my time in this city, I just wanted to share a few of my favorite New York ‘things’ and some memorable moments from the last 9+ years in the City (in no particular order):
1. Starting my blogs!
2. Being introduced by Michael Ealy and presenting to over 1000 media execs at the T. Howard Foundation Annual Diversity Awards Dinner at Cipriani.
3. Being featured in Women’s Wear Daily as an ‘Up and Coming Blogger‘
4. Getting to do photoshoots for Glamour magazine, Uptown Magazine and The Outnet
5. Being interviewed by Meredith Viera on the Today Show
6. Performing in my first improv show at Magnet Theater
7. Mentoring a lovely young lady/aspiring writer through Girls Write Now
8. Launching my handbag line and being featured in AM New York
9. Attending A Historic Evening with President Obama in NYC at ABC Carpet & Home and getting to meet the President!
10. Indulging in mocha lattes and pastries at Financier NYC
11. Getting $25 blowouts at the Dominican salon in Harlem
12. Attending my first New York Fashion Week and attending for 15 more seasons
13. Going to see my high school celeb crush, Big Daddy Kane, perform live at B.B. King’s
14. Getting to meet and chat with one of my icons/sheroes/favorite authors, former CNBC CEO, Pamela Thomas Graham
15. Driving through complete darkness when the blackout hit lower Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy
16. Watching Sarah Jessica Parker and Cynthia Nixon shoot a scene in Duane Reade for the Sex and the City movie
17. Meeting Chico DeBarge and learning more about him than I ever wanted to know, LOL
18. Watching Christopher Meloni film a scene from Law & Order
19. Going to the Apollo Theater for tributes on the night Michael Jackson died and seeing the Jacksons perform there several years later
20. Attending a blogger lunch hosted by one of my favorite designers, Rachel Roy
21. My husband proposing to me 🙂
22. Shopping for my wedding gown
23. All the cool celebrity sightings (like spotting ‘Mr. Big’ at Fashion Week, sitting across from Anderson Cooper at ACME)
24. All the shopping – in SoHo, the shoe floor at Bergdorf Goodman, at sample sales & private shopping events, during Fashion’s Night Out, and pretty much everywhere else in NYC
25. Taking my mom to a private Project Runway party (she loves that show!)
26. Attending a private viewing of Project Runway season 7 with Seth Aaron, and getting to interview him right after his big win!
27. Seeing Beyoncé at the Barclays center in Brooklyn. BK in BK!
28. Kelly Rowland complimenting me at New York Fashion Week
29. Waiting in line for two hours for cronuts, like a tourist
30. Dining at some of my favorite (now closed) spots: Night of the Cookers, ACME (and there), Stand 4, Olympic Diner, Goodburger, Zesty Pizza, Dominique Ansel Bakery
31. Epic randomness, like the guy with the cat on his head, the guy on FDR Drive, the guy on the train who sings “Drink your water, eat your vegetables” to dancehall music and the lonely guy posters
32. Riding my bike in SoHo and simultaneously spotting Matt Dillon exiting a cab and Alexander Wang peeking into the windows of his own store (naturally I freaked out at seeing Alexander Wang, my favorite designer)
33. Heading home on the train after work and having a guy pull up a folding chair and bongo drum in front of me, giving me my own personal drum show!