While her husband, President Obama, was busy making history yesterday, First Lady Michelle Obama was busy making waves in fashion, yet again. First, she wore a custom made Thom Browne dress and A-line coat that had everyone buzzing. (If the name sounds familiar, Thom Browne was one of the participating designers in the Target + Neiman Marcus collaboration; you can buy the blazer here). The jacquard coat, which was seen on Mrs. O when she headed to St. John’s Episcopal Church with her family yesterday morning, then later cinched with a jeweled belt (a J. Crew Collection Rhinestone-encrusted Sash from the bridal collection) at her husband’s historic, second-term inauguration, was made to resemble a silk necktie. Drawing comparisons to Jackie Kennedy for her style, The First Lady wore the coat two ways; with J. Crew Valentina Patent Pumps and then with Reed Krakoff Leather-Suede Thin-Strap Knee Boots. She added a pair of purple J. Crew cashmere-lined leather gloves to complete the look.
Get her haute look:
1. Thom Browne Tailored Short Sleeved Smock Dress, $2,500
2. Black.co.uk Ladies Magenta Rose Italian Leather Summer Gloves, £39.00
3. Reed Krakoff Leather-Suede Thin-Strap Knee Boot, $492
4. Kimchi Blue Jeweled Pyramid Belt – Black, $16.99
5. Thom Browne Round Shoulder Sack Overcoat, $3,900
Photos: AFP/Getty Images, Moda Operandi